Hooray! It’s the last day of May and school gets out for the summer next week! Even though it hasn’t felt much like it lately, summer is here!! We’re all excited now, but the temperatures are going to get hot soon, and the kiddos are inevitably going to get restless. At some point you’re bound to hear those 2 favorite words: “I’m bored.” Never fear: the ladies of Iowa City Moms Blog have put together a few of our favorite things to do and places to go in the Iowa City area just for you! We have a variety of suggestions: indoor and outdoor activities, as well as some of our favorite restaurants and local landmarks. Keep the list handy and choose something from it the next time you’re looking for something fun to do as a family, on a date with your spouse, or by yourself!
- Iowa City Farmer’s Market: Wednesdays from 5-7 p.m. and Saturdays from 7:30-12…get fresh produce, buy the kettlecorn, and enjoy some yummy food while you’re there!
- Enjoy live music during the Friday Night Concert Series downtown in the ped mall. While you’re there, grab a Marco’s grilled cheese and let the kids play on the playground and in the fountain!
- Get some ice cream and check out the great shops in the ped mall
- Take a picnic and enjoy the sunshine on the Old Capitol lawn
- Pack up the family for a day at Lake Macbride. You can swim at the beach, rent kayaks and paddleboats, walk out to the “knob”, hike the trails, play disc golf, investigate the raptor center…the possibilities are endless!
- If Lake Macbride is a little crowded for you, make the drive out to Kent Park in Oxford. They have an awesome beach, great playground, picnic shelters, and it’s not as busy.
- Head to the pool…North Liberty, Coralville, City Park, Mercer Park Wading Pool, Wetherby Splash Pad
- Go for a walk or bike ride along the river, or along one of the numerous local trails
- Take a picnic to lower City Park and let the younger kids ride the amusement rides
- Go to the Arts Festival in downtown Iowa City in June
- Jazz Festival in downtown Iowa City in July
- Go the the NewBo City Market in Cedar Rapids
- Tailgate and head to an IOWA game at the end of the summer. Even better, why wait for football season? Head over to Kinnick Stadium and let the kids check out the statues and take a peek through the gates at the stadium…it’s a simple activity, but will seem like a big deal to them!
- Ice skate or watch a hockey game at the Coral Ridge mall, followed up by a ride on the carousel
- Stay cool and have a blast at the Iowa Children’s Museum
- Do some bargain shopping at Goodwill, Salvation Army, or Stuff, Etc.
- Take in a movie at Sycamore or Coral Ridge
- Make pottery at Renee’s Ceramic Café
- Take a class at Sweet Feet Yoga
- Enjoy storytime and pick up some great books at one of the local libraries
- Head to one of the rec centers and take a class or take part in open gym
- Ride a Cambus…summer is the perfect time because they’re not packed with students!
SOME OF OUR FAVORITE LOCAL EATERIES
- Pick up some ice cream at Heyn’s, Dane’s, or Whitey’s. If you’re into frozen yogurt, go to Yotopia or Orange Leaf!
- Molly’s Cupcakes
- Happy Hour at Red’s Alehouse or Quinton’s (best baked potatoes…and great margaritas!)
- Pizza at Pagliai’s
- Bread Garden…definitely get a spot on the patio!
- Go to Shorts or Micky’s for a burger
- Midtown Family Restaurant for homestyle meals
- Saloon…a great place to sit outside and enjoy chips & dips while listening to the Friday Night Concert Series!
- Devotay for tapas
- Z’Mariks for pasta
- Blackstone for saganaki
- Hamburg Inn…best breakfast around!
- Wig and Pen…you’ve got to try their Flying Tomato pizza!
**These are just a FEW of our favorite things to do, places to go, and places to eat around town! We’d love to hear some of your favorites…please share them with us in the comments sections!