Want to be a hop away from Iowa City (9 miles) and a skip to Cedar Rapids (19 miles) but still live in a super happening place? This once small town has become so popular they had to conduct their own special census in 2015. What is this oasis we’re referring to? North Liberty!
New to town or considering North Liberty? We asked local mommas to tell us their favorites about this fun town and have compiled them here.
North Liberty doesn’t have its own school district. It’s split between Clear Creek Amana (CCA) and Iowa City Community School District (ICCSD). The dividing line between the two is Jones Boulevard.
Food & Drink:
You will find many places to grab a cup of coffee, happy hour drink, cupcake, or taco in North Liberty. Below is a list of local favorites:
Red’s Ale House – flatbread pizzas, a great outdoor patio area, and 2-for-1 happy hour drinks
El Taquito – the newest Mexican restaurant in town, over by Dairy Queen & Pizza Ranch
Capanna Coffee & Gelato – cozy place to warm up with a good drink or cool down with a yummy treat
Heyn’s Ice Cream
Bluebird Cafe – all day breakfast!
Beer Burger – all burgers come with a pretzel bun, and be sure to try their milkshakes!
J&A Tap – local dive bar that is known for their senior specials and karaoke
Mirabitos – great Italian food with good service
El Cactus – Super tacos
Cafe Muse – the newest coffee shop in town, very open & modern!
Tin Roost – Coming soon! We can’t wait for the huge outdoor patios
Casey’s – gas station known for it’s pizza
Bobber’s – outdoor volleyball and live music all right on “the Res,” AKA Coralville reservoir!
Pizza Plus – try the breadsticks!
The City of North Liberty has put together a great listing of all the local parks & trails. It features things like restrooms, picnic tables, size, drinking fountains, etc.
Our favorite park is Penn Meadows which features a splash pad and is home to many ball diamonds.
Good to know:
- Fareway is a local grocery store that is closed on Sunday’s. They are known for their meat counter and runners help you take your groceries to your car (super nice if you are pregnant or have your kids in tow).
- North Liberty Community Pantry
- North Liberty Summer Lunch Program
- Hy-Vee Car Washes – $6 Any Car Wash Sunday & Wednesday. Tip: you can get the code and use it any day of the week.
- Next Level Extreme Fitness – amazing workout, plus they offer free childcare!
- Community Gardens – Rent a 10′ x 30′ plot of land for only $25 (residents) and start your own garden while saving your backyard space for play.
- North Liberty Blues & BBQ
- Family Video/Marco’s Pizza
- True Value – Working on a home improvement project and need a part? Save a trip into town by heading here.
- COMING IN 2018 – Bowling Alley, Laser Tag and Restaurant Family Fun Center
North Liberty is home to many different faith denominations. Again, the City has done an excellent job of listing all the area churches with service times. Hopefully you can find a faith community that fits you and your family!
Fun Stuff to do:
Debut Dance Studio
Champagne Academy of Irish Dance
North Liberty Rec Center – swimming, & kids play area
North Liberty Library – Did you know the library just built and opened a lactation room? Perfect for the nursing/pumping mother–go check it out!
North Liberty Farmer’s Market
Sugar Bottom Bikes
Forever Green Nursery
Quail Creek Golf Course
Colony Country Pumpkin Patch
Clearly, North Liberty has a lot to offer. The city continues to grow and get lots of new, fun, exciting, and kid-friendly things all the time! Come check out this local hot spot so many love to call home.
What is YOUR favorite thing about North Liberty?
Kudos to many moms that sent in pictures of their kiddos enjoying some favorite spots and to my co-contributor Brenda Delsing for helping me compile and get links to these local spots!